Saturday, July 26, 2014

Out of my comfort zone

Remember that program I was so excited about finally getting? Well, my coach has started to put it together for me now, and it's definitely the massive challenge to my confidence that I thought it was going to be.

But I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. It's great to have something else to work on; I like that I'm being forced to do my best to skate "with flow" (I suppose that's the phrase), and faster - though when I used that phrase to Coach A he did get his serious face on and insist "this is not fast" :-) I'm inclined to agree with him, but, for me, it is!

When you first started to put things together into a sequence of any kind, above just the skate uk level you need, did you
just feel on the cusp of being out of control at all times, and within inches of splatting onto the ice? That's how I feel at the moment. I know Coach A can see that too - I can see the little half-smiles every time I have that moment of panic - he can obviously see it in my body language and face. It's quite amusing really. I can hide nothing when I'm skating!

Additionally, I wonder if there are other adult skaters out there who feel completely out of their comfort zone with anything resembling artistry the way I do?

By this I mean ARMS. Goddamn, bloomin, far-too-much-to-deal-with ARMS.

Figure skating is the first thing I've ever done in my life that required any kind of grace, art, fluidity of movement, etc etc. I have never danced, done ballet, gymnastics - anything at all of the kind. So trying to look graceful seriously does not come naturally to me. Coach A hasn't been too ambitious just yet with the bit of programme I have so far, and I'm so far only required to move my arms one time - but it's one time too many. Having caught glimpses of myself practising it, it just looks so awkward! It's so frustrating! I can only carry on and hope it looks a little better in time! If anyone has any tips on not looking so stiff and awkward in the meantime, I'd be delighted to hear them.

3 comments:

  1. Yes - the arms! I apparently skate with "gymnastics arms" - rigid, sharp movements instead of soft, ballet-like arms. And it absolutely feels awkward, especially in front of a mirror! I've been watching others and trying to copy them or hearing the music in my head and just learning to move naturally. It's helping a bit, but I think I'll always have a case of gymnastics arms. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh arms. I didn't have ballet as a child either, though I've done a little here and there as an adult trying to make up for that. It's a long process trying to get that nice carriage and lots of skaters, even adult skaters, have nicer carriage than I do, but I steadily work on it. Doing a program will push you and get you further along more than almost anything else, I think, especially if you sign up for some performances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right and getting into a program will help the arms over time. At least I make my coach smile at how uncoordinated I am :-)

      Unfortunately I think performances are out of the question any time soon; firstly I'm not good enough, secondly there just aren't any opportunities for adult skaters in this country. In the area where I live there are basically no shows at all for adults to get involved in, and barely any competitions. Those competitions there are are too high level for me right now.

      Delete