Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Can you really improve flexibility as an adult?

Disclaimer: This is an opinion piece and not to be taken as any kind of medical advice. Always see a professional if you're planning to change your workout routine, or it's at your own risk!

The truth is, you don't have to be flexible, strong or fit to be a figure skater, but it certainly helps. When I started skating three years ago I was none of the above. People have always assumed I'm fit because I'm slim, but the two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. I'm just lucky to have ridiculously good metabolism (though even that's starting to struggle more with age).

As I'm sure was the case with many others out there, I quickly began to realise getting in some sort of shape was going to be necessary the more my skating progressed. It's not so much of an issue when you spend
an hour standing in a circle praying for the courage to try a 3-turn - but as soon as you start putting elements together and actually moving around the rink it very swiftly becomes apparent how unfit you are.

Fitness, by all accounts, is a relatively easy thing to improve. A few minutes of doing something - anything - to get your heart beating faster even just three times a week can make all the difference.

My coach recommends always warming up before a skate (I don't know about you, but for me this goes in spurts. Sometimes I warm up every time for months, then I'll go weeks where I just get on the ice and go). Part of the reason for this is that the warm up increases blood flow to your muscles thus making it much less likely you'll do some damage. And when we're 'playing' a dangerous sport, this could be vital.

But what about flexibility? As a beginner skater, and having never danced, done gymnastics or taken part in any other bendy activity, my flexibility was (and is) somewhat lacking. It's only within the last year or so I've really begun to notice it and really want to improve it, mainly for spirals. I currently can't do any kind of decent catch-foot as I just don't bend that way.

I've heard it said many times that it's impossible to become more flexible as an adult if you never were as a youngster, but I don't believe that's true. It may take more effort than it would take a younger person, but impossible it's not. As you age, your muscles lose strength and elasticity so it's important to take it slowly, and it WILL take longer than it would if you were 18 - but persevere if you really want it and you will see the rewards.

This became more apparent to me this week when I attended an adult stretch class down in Sheffield with the wonderful off-ice coach Kelly. A little part of me genuinely believes Kelly possesses some kind of witchcraft, but in reality she just makes you warm up really well and helps guide you in the stretches patiently.

In one 90-minute session I went from being a million miles off my front splits to almost on the floor. I also got hold of my skate in a Biellman position for the first time in my life, and while not even at head height yet, it really wasn't far off. Even just getting my shoulder round that way was a huge achievement for me, and it's sent me off with the confidence of knowing it CAN be done, I just know I need to keep working hard on it.

A couple of weeks ago. This was the very best I could do, and it HURT. And this was already a million miles better than when I started a year or so ago.

At the class this week. A different angle but I'm sure you can see there's a big difference (look at the difference in how close to the ground my hands are, for a start). It was also more comfortable than the one a few weeks ago.  
First time Biellman

It's amazing to think if I can become so much more flexible from just the beginning of one session to the end, the possibilities are endless if I actually stretched properly and thoroughly every few days, or every day even. I'd thoroughly recommend Kelly's classes  - and what a shame we don't have these things available at all rinks. If we did, maybe figure skating would be in better shape as a national sport! Of course, if you can't make it to a class near you, there are countless DVDs, YouTube videos and tutorials out there on the beautiful internet.



9 comments:

  1. Wow - look how far you've come with your flexibility! I've been working on getting my splits back and have also noticed a significant difference. I'm not sure if my back is flexible enough to get into a full layback position (or haircutter/Biellmann), but maybe I can try. I'm a former gymnast but have lost a bunch of my flexibility over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've had it once as a gymnast it seems pretty likely you'll be able to get it back. Lots of luck!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree that it can be improved whatever your age. My flexibility (split wise) was probably similar to yours when I started :) and it comes and goes. If I work on it it's better if I forget it it disappears again. Gotta look after it to improve or maintain it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesson of the day right there: Make sure we keep up the work!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic work!! Yes you definitely can make improvements with perseverance. Sure it helps if you have a background in dance or gymnastics, but like anything, with structured training and dedication, things can be achieved. It may just take a little longer and it may require extra attention and care so as not to injure yourself! Keep up the good work. I'm inspired - I've been pretty slack on the stretching front lately but would LOVE to have even a beginner bielmann one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have helped inspire! I'm inspired too thanks to the off-ice coach we had. She's really made me want to keep up the hard work. That said, I did push it too far a few weeks ago and I'm still suffering now with a groin/hamstring injury (not sure which - not knowledgeable enough on physiology) so it really is important to take it slowly as an adult.

      Delete
  4. Hi :) You say that there are good YT vids, please could you send me any good links? I have my own stretching routine but GMB say that if I'm not flexible I have to wait 6 months or even a year to get that far D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I've just put up a post with some good links, just for you. Hope it helps! http://noexcusesinskating.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/flexibility-tutorials.html

      Delete
  5. OMG!! Thank you! I still have hope and keep it UP!!!

    ReplyDelete