Saturday, May 31, 2014

There's just no other title for it: Bloody Salchows

I always said I seem to skate better when I'm in a lesson as opposed to when I practice on my own; however, my Salchow apparently doesn't play by those rules, much to my dismay.

This week was really the first week I was able to get back to proper practice after my health issues kept me away from the ice (and boy do my muscles realise this!). At the beginning of the week, something seemed to click a bit, and suddenly I was hesitating much less in my Salchow.

I've always had what I call a "Mr Miyagi moment" in the middle of it - after the 3 turn I hesitate in something resembling this pose -----> for a good 3 seconds before I jump.

Then at the beginning of the week, I had a moment where everything my coach told me suddenly came together and,
mainly by putting my head where it should be, things improved. Ok, they still weren't good, but a whole lot better than that....

But annoyingly, by the time my lesson rolled around on Friday, it just didn't work anymore. Sad times :-(

I'd love to say the Salchow is my nemesis. I've been working on it for what feels like forever, and I'm still horrible at it. However, my real arch nemesis has to be the spin. This is something I just feel I'll never be able to do. No matter how much I work on it, it just never gets any better. I'll get 5 revolutions max on a good day, but even then the entry is dreadful, I'm spinning "backwards" and have zero control over my arms. I've almost given up on ever getting it to be honest - every bit of practice on it is starting to feel like a big waste of time. At least I can feel some improvement, however small, with other things, including the dreaded Salchow.  Does everyone have that one thing they just can't seem to grasp?

On a bad day it seriously makes me debate quitting. I often feel I'm totally wasting my coach's time, because no matter what he says I just can't seem to make it happen. It must be very frustrating for him, as well as for me.

All that negativity said, there are things that seem to be improving, even if only slightly, so I'm not ready to give up just yet. Played with catch-foot spirals in Friday's lesson - that was fun. And once I worked out how to find my foot (haha! Again, does everyone have that 'scrabbling around behind you trying to work out where the heck the end of your leg is thing'? How is it you can't feel  where your own foot is??) they didn't seem TOO shoddy. Fun times.


5 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsey, don't give up on your spin, they are my nemesis also and I've been trying to get the hang of them for 6 years! I manage to do one Ok one and then the next one will be rubbish. I think its the difficulty in getting them to be consistent that is so frustrating. Keep on practicing, you are not alone! My coach assures me it is a time thing and that we should practice the things we are not so good at as much as we can. Our coaches are happy as long as we do our best and try to remember all they tell us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way with catch foot spirals. I can never find my foot or blade and end up pulling a muscle instead! Don't give up. Your salchow and spins will come. The backspin used to be my nemesis until one day when everything finally "clicked." Your day will come soon - keep practicing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I sure hope that 'click' will happen in my lifetime ;-) Thanks both for the pep talks :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Lindsay. I have found progress on my scratch spin to be very slow over the years. Still I wonder whether you could have an issue with your blade? I'm glad the salchow improved for you after your break. I find that taking a break can paradoxically improve some of my elements. I didn't jump for a month while breaking in my new skates and getting ready for my moves and dance tests, and now that I've started again I'm very pleased with how my jumps are going. Like you I tend to do better when my coach is watching me, I call it "the lesson effect."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely all me. Wish I could blame the blades though ;-) I've just got new ones, and they do seem to be helping marginally. I feel much more confident on my outside edges specifically with the new ones. The issues spinning are all my own unfortunately :-)

      Delete